June 1st, 2014
The time is almost upon us, the world cup, the world’s most famous and arguably most exciting sporting event is nearly here as it prepares to return to its spiritual home, Brazil, the team who have won the tournament more than any.
One of the problems the world cup throws up is the timing of the games, and watching live football matches can be tough depending on which part of the world and which time zone you are in. Luckily, this is the 21st century, and there are ways around it.
- On your television. The old fashioned way, this world cup is on terrestrial TV in the united kingdom and much of the rest of the world. You may get the best coverage elsewhere but the fact that you can tune in on your telly is superb.
- On your phone or tablet. Apps such as TV Catchup or iPlayers let us watch things on the go on our phones or tablets, make sure you have 3G or a wifi connection and you’re golden.
- On your laptop. Similarly, but this time we bring streaming into account via our browser. Many tablets and phones wont allow this as they dont support flash, but your laptop will. No excuses here.
- Cinema showings! This showcase can even be caught in some cinemas and other big screens.
- At a bar or pub. The social way, get your friends out for a beverage. You can bet your bottom dollar that if there’s a screen, they’ll be showing the world cup on it.
May 31st, 2014
Ever wondered exactly who the world’s most valuable football players are? Gareth Bale’s high profile (and massive money) deal made him the first footballer to break the 100 million Euro mark, but the transfer market is a funny old place, and the fees paid for players doesn’t necessarily represent their true value.
15 Experts have worked together to create this brilliant list and graphic, which scores the players on a multitude of different areas and summises just which are the most valuable in there.
Some of the players of course write themselves, it is no surprise to see the likes of Messi and Ronaldo way up the top, but who comes in at number 3?
Just two premier league players, Suarez and Van Persie, make the top 10, which is hardly surprising when you consider the lack of dominance English teams have suffered in recent years, with top teams like Man Utd on the wane.
Incredibly, some of the top 100 are even available on free transfers! Ashley Cole has just been released along with Samuel Et0′o from Chelsea, and both make the list. Huge money transfer Neymar Jr doesn’t make the top 50.
As you would expect, there is a huge Spanish influence, and a massive amount of players from Real and Barca, and even newly crowned champions Atletico, in the list. Definitely worth checking out to see exactly who is rated this highly, and the dream teams you could make up out of these 100 truly great players who define a footballing generation.
May 11th, 2014
As with any sport, American Football is something that is often started at a very young age, and the importance of getting the hours of practice in is evident for those who really want to make it to the top of the game. Football is a complex sport, and there are many different positions and roles on a pitch which can be tough to get a full understanding of at a young age, but doing the correct drills and spending time practicing the fundamentals of the game can pay dividends.
Improving Agility and Strength. The sport demands that you are both strong and agile and you may be using entirely new muscles if you have just taken up the sport, improving the right areas of your body can sometimes only be done through practice, so agility and strength drills are key.
Defensive drills. Especially at a young age, the defensive aspects of the game can be tough to grasp, fortunately there are loads of defensive drills available and recommended for players to tighten up their skills in this area.
Positional Drills. As already mentioned, there are many different positions and roles in the game, and some of the drills will be more relevant to some positions than others, training at both youth and senior level can involve drills that are specific to position to improve specific skills.
For more football drills and information on the fundamentals of the game check out this blog for the top information available.
April 11th, 2014
There was a time where jobs in sports were extremely rare, but in the modern age we live in, sports teams can be huge global brands with requirements for everything from ground staff to marketing staff.
The structure of sports clubs mirrors that of many other entertainment industries, there are always people required to ensure that things work technically, so for instance that the stadium is up to scratch and kept safe and functioning, and coaches and more to work with the players. Behind the scenes there is an administrative side to it as well, so if this is where your skills lay then there are huge amounts of opportunities.
There are always things you can do to improve your chances of finding work in these areas. There are numerous sports related qualifications in coaching, ground maintenance and more, and you can even be educated to degree level in these subjects, so there is a need for specialists out there. In the modern age of the internet, it is easier to find jobs in sports online and chase your dream to work in one of the world’s most exciting forms of entertainment.
The benefits of working for a sports team can be anything from free tickets to fame and stardom if you play your cards right, and there are great opportunities out there for people who are fanatics or just for those who care about furthering their career. A job in anything from football to basketball, handball to tennis could be just around the corner.
March 19th, 2014
So, the championship is nearly upon you! Whatever your sport, from time to time there will come a massive tournament that tests us both mentally, and as we are going to touch upon today, physically. You need your body to be in the best shape possible in order to be at our best in the championship. We’ve put together our best suggestions for ways you can drop the weight you need to in time for your championship games. The world of weight loss is always changing, and there’s always something new to try, of course no two people are the same and what works for one may need tweaking in order to work for another, but these tried and tested methods will probably go some way to helping you.
Drop Carbs. Check with a doctor first but cutting a lot of carbs from your diet can do wonderous things for the waist line and make sure you’re at the weight you need to be ready to be on your A Game.
The old fashioned way. A healthy, balanced diet with some exercise, as any physician will tell you this has worked for many years.
Supplements and products. In the modern world of technology there are products and supplements out there that can work wonders, you can lose weight with Garcinia Cambogia, an exceptional and natural product (that really can work) which I especially recommend, and it will help you drop the pounds you need to quickly so that you’re ready for the contest.
February 13th, 2014
Huge prize fights are bigger business than ever in the world today, and the US as we all know goes crazy for a good competitive sport. Two boxing heroes in Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley took to the ring in 2012 in what was a famous fight, going the 12 round distance before a very controversial decision was made in favour of Bradley. This left a score to settle, and this year, for the first time since 2012, Filipino legend Pacquiao is back fighting on US turf to try and work out once and for all which of these fighters deserves the accolades.
Bradley has kept his scorecard clean in metaphorical terms, and is yet to lose a pro fight (though many would argue the first bout between these two should’ve seen him defeated). With an impressive 31-0 record with 12 knockouts. He has a longer reach than Manny does, but may struggle against the southpaw.
The fight is sure to be a classic, and one full of emotion and feeling from the first time these two met back in 2012. It will take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Vegas and tickets for Pacquiao vs Bradley are still available, but wont be for long as these two titans prepare to fight on Saturday 12th April in the Vegas heat. We will be counting down the days.
Our prediction here? We think that Bradley (a 7/2 underdog in the first fight) will really struggle to defend his record, and Pacquiao will be back to his best in a big way!
February 9th, 2014
Of course, all of our regular readers are big lovers of sports, otherwise you probably wouldn’t be here! One of the many benefits of playing sports is that it can help us shed those unwanted extra lbs and get in shape. Weight loss is a huge industry and one that people are constantly introducing new ideas into, new diets and new exercises, but the truth is that the easiest thing to stick to is playing your favorite sport.
So, once you’re dropping the lbs by playing those sports, you’ll want to maximize your efforts, and there are a couple of things you can do to ensure that you’re losing as much as you possibly can from the effort you’re putting in.
- A healthy, balanced diet. No fads required here, just stick to a balanced diet and make sure you’re not overeating too much (the odd treat is okay). Fill up on vegetables and salads and keep simple carbs to a minimum and you won’t go too far wrong.
- Supplements. Some supplements have a bit of a rep, but there are some on the market that do have a scientific merit and work fantastically, such as using Miracle Garcinia Cambogia For Weight Loss which helps to prevent your calories turning into fat and also has been shown to suppress your appetite, it has a lot going for it and is completely natural, which is something that not all of these kinds of products can offer.
Hopefully this has been helpful in your pursuit of losing the most weight possible through playing sports!
January 18th, 2014
So you want to be a swimmer? Who could blame you, swimming is an excellent way to stay in shape, it’s great fun and lets face it it is a useful skill to have for everyone. Because swimming is both aerobic and resistance training, it will work new muscles for you and is amazing for weight loss, toning up and keeping fit.
So what are the best tips to help you in your swimming training? We explore everything you need to get the most out of your time in the pool.
- Combine your swimming workouts with the right nutrition and a good solid diet. This is key if you are going to swim competitively and will help ensure you’re not carrying extra weight around the pool and that your body is in the best condition it can be for races or competitions.
- Correct your breathing technique. You should be exhaling slowly while your face is underwater and inhaling when you can get to the air. Failure to do so can lead to you feeling exhausted by the end of your session.
- The right equipment. Often underestimated, you really need to be wearing the right gear before you get into swimming. Ill fitting trunks, uncomfortable swimwear and a lack of the right kit can cost you. My personal favorite place to get my swimwear is at Shark - http://www.shark-swimwear.com/
- Get yourself up for it! Going into any swimming, especially competitive, can be a real slog if you are not feeling motivated. Make sure you are ready and raring before diving in.
January 7th, 2014
Manchester United have always been the safe bet. The most premier league titles out of any team, and the same manager for over a quarter of a decade. Without Sir Alex at the helm, we all knew it would be different, but lets face it, not quite this different though…
United’s topsy turvy form goes to show just how tough it is at the top, and what an amazing job Ferguson did for all those years. But this year has seen them become the avid punter’s worst nightmare, completely and utterly unpredictable. Just a few months after beating Swansea 4-1 in their own back yard, United welcomed them back to Old Trafford this January and in spite of the Swans being out of form and stretched by competing in 4 competitions, the Welsh club pulled off an upset.
David Moyes will surely be given time to figure things out after that huge contract hike, but the frustrating nature of Uniteds patchy form continues to be a mystery in the mean time, even for those who religiously use their account on bet365 sportsbook to wager a weekly premier league accumulator. Having won an impressive six games on the spin in December, despite an injury ravaged squad, you could be forgiven for thinking the United of old were coming back, but January flops against Swansea, Sunderland and Champions League Rivals Spurs have suggested otherwise. Nobody seems to know which Manchester United will turn up to games right now, and unless they reclaim some sort of consistency it could be a rocky road for some time.
December 30th, 2013
If you take your sports seriously in any way, you will no doubt need to take your fitness very seriously, and you may already be aware of the many benefits of using spin bikes in the process of getting yourself in top condition for your chosen sports. Conditioning your body using gym equipment is a practice embraced by many top athletes and sportsmen nowadays, allowing you to sculpt your body and work on the areas you most need to, whether they be cardio or strength. That’s where the spin bike comes in…
- Spin bikes can help with cardio conditioning in a similar way to a standard exercise bike, by raising your heart rate and working your body
- It helps with your muscle condition too and will make your legs and other muscles stronger
- It can be done year round in the gym with no issues, this can be a real benefit for some sports, especially extreme ones.
- No pressure on the joints means no real risk of injury while you work out, it is even recommended from people who suffer from arthritis and other issues.
- You can track your progress. With many of the best spin bikes you can track distance, calories burned, time and even heart rate and other factors, something which can help you understand your body and work towards better performance in your sport of choice.
This article is brought to you by Online Bike Shop, read our bike reviews for further information and some important tips on buying and using your bike.